WELS mandates that all students reside with a home-stay family. The families are carefully chosen by the school and have to undergo police and criminal checks. Application form for homestay should be submitted along with Homestay Agreement.
Obligation of the Homestay Host:
1) Airport pickup and welcome student’s first arrival
2) Welcome the homestay student as a member of the family.
3) Regular conversation in English.
4) Opportunities to experience Canadian culture.
5) Provide a house key, security access codes, and host family contact information for the student.
6) A private room with bed, desk, desk chair, desk light, internet access, comfortable chair.
7) Shared/private access to a bathroom, laundry facilities, microwave, toaster oven, and suppliers to keep your room and bathroom clean.
8) Daily continental, self-serve breakfast to be eaten at your leisure/with family.
9) Provide adequate and nutritious food as defined in this contract.
10) Daily nutritious dinners to be eaten together with the family.
11) Space in a kitchen cupboard and refrigerator to store your personal food.
To download a copy of the Home-stay Agreement, please click here.
To apply for the Home-stay Program, please click here.
Homestay Placement Confirmation:
Students will be informed of their homestay placement via email as well as via the WeChat app.
IMPORTANT: All students are required to have medical insurance and homestay placement prior to arrival to Canada.
At the beginning of my journey here at Westfield, I was filled with doubt and a lot of nerves. However, the enthusiastic teachers and staff, along with the energetic students helped me to adapt to this community quickly. I enjoy and appreciate my time here. Westfield is my home away from home.
Westfield Secondary is a great school to me. The students are friendly, and I can make friends with people from different countries. The teachers here are great, they are always here to listen and help us with any problems we come across. I would recommend Westfield Secondary to anyone interested in coming here!
I feel like the staff and teachers are friends. They are caring towards my study and life. They have helped build my confidence day by day, and improve my English which helps me adjust to local life. My parents are so proud of me and its all thanks to Westfield!
I came to Canada being excited but also feeling very nervous. I did not have any confidence in speaking English, but the teaching at Westfield help me to rebuild my confidence and has motivated me to improve my learning.
It’s been a few months now that I have been studying at Westfield. From the first day I came, Westfield made me feel very welcomed. Everyone is very friendly and communicative. The teachers are extremely caring and kind, and they really want us to succeed. Westfield has made me feel at home!