Westfield Secondary School is dedicated to the success of our international students, and one area in which they need special support is through homestays – we believe that students living in established families and receiving support from a familial unit is the best way to ensure a smooth transition to academic living – let us tell you more about our Homestays and our procedures!
- Selection Process: Westfield Secondary School prides itself on careful selection of Homestay Partners. Our goal is to ensure only the very best outcomes for our students, and the best way to ensure this is to match students to families that have the best interests of the students in mind. To that end, we are very thorough in our selection process; all candidates are screened to ensure only the top-quality families work with Westfield to provide student accommodation. Contact us to find out more!
- Benefits to Students: At Westfield Secondary School, our students placed in Homestay family accommodation receive more than just room and board; they receive the very best care that can be provided. Students will be well fed and kept warm and safe, but even this is not enough for our high standards; we also want our Homestay families to be disciplined, and make sure students have structure in their lives that can help them succeed! Our families care not just about the students themselves, but of their academic goals as well!
Obligation of the Homestay Host:
1) Airport pickup and welcome student’s first arrival
2) Welcome the homestay student as a member of the family.
3) Regular conversation in English.
4) Opportunities to experience Canadian culture.
5) Provide a house key, security access codes, and host family contact information for the student.
6) A private room with bed, desk, desk chair, desk light, internet access, comfortable chair.
7) Shared/private access to a bathroom, laundry facilities, microwave, toaster oven, and suppliers to keep your room and bathroom clean.
8) Daily continental, self-serve breakfast to be eaten at your leisure/with family.
9) Provide adequate and nutritious food as defined in this contract.
10) Daily nutritious dinners to be eaten together with the family.
11) Space in a kitchen cupboard and refrigerator to store your personal food.
IMPORTANT: All students are required to have medical insurance and homestay placement prior to arrival to Canada.
I have earned the president position in the Students’ Council. I never thought I could actually become this leader who I dreamed to be. I have been through a lot of elections in my life, some I failed, some I just gave up. But this time, Westfield’s students and teachers trusted me and gave this chance, and I am very grateful. I had one gap year, totally lost; one year in a school that I did not feel I belonged in. Westfield brought my confidence back. I am proud to say, I have reached a high point in my life, with acceptances from Rotman Commerce, McGill’s Commerce, UTM’s Commerce with Scholarship.
I am very grateful to my teachers and staffs for my achievement. When I started my journey at Westfield, I was filled with nervousness and doubt. However, the enthusiasm of the teachers, staff, and students helped me quickly adapt to the community. Westfield not only galvanized my academic capabilities but also gave me love and care.
I feel like the staff and teachers are friends. They are caring towards my study and life. They have helped build my confidence day by day, and improve my English which helps me adjust to local life. My parents are so proud of me and its all thanks to Westfield!
It’s been a few months now that I have been studying at Westfield. From the first day I came, Westfield made me feel very welcomed. Everyone is very friendly and communicative. The teachers are extremely caring and kind, and they really want us to succeed. Westfield has made me feel at home!
Hello everybody. I’m so lucky to study at Westfield Secondary School. I really enjoy Westfield because they’re very friendly and nice to me. I like them a lot. Westfield has a fun game room where I can play pool and table ping pong with my friends. After we finish class we have study hall. All our teachers help us to improve our skills in each subject. I am improving my English day by day being here better than I would have at home. I hope to see you here soon!